Thursday, January 5, 2012

Confession Time

Hey, everyone. Well, as this post says, I have a few thoughts I'd like to get out. This blog tends to be more of a formal, polished collection of thoughts and encouragements than a journal or diary. I don't post too often about personal conflicts, my daily life, or my struggles. Sometimes, I look at this blog and think, "Wow. I seem so secure." In all honesty, right now, I'm not. I am secure in my faith - there's no question about that. But this past few months, maybe even a year, has been a time of spiritual drought and lukewarm faith for me. I haven't shared much of my heart with people as of late, partly because I'm ashamed, and partly because I feel I have nothing to say. My heart feels dry and empty.

I wonder sometimes about the church these days. The book "Messy Spirituality" seems especially relevant right now. In the book, the author talks about how Christians are afraid to share their downfalls, faults, hurts, fears, doubts, and failures with other Christians. As Christians, aren't we supposed to be on a path constantly moving upward and improving ourselves? Aren't we supposed to be full of the love and peace of God? Aren't we supposed to keep happy faces and be full of joy, even in times of terrible suffering? In essence, the author points out that there is a huge gap between what we're expected to feel and think and what we ACTUALLY feel and think.

"Hey, Devon! How are you?!"
"Hey, girl! I'm fantastic! You know, tired, but God is good!"
"Great. See you later!"

versus

"Hey, Devon! How are you?!"
"Hey, girl. To be honest, I'm not good. My spiritual life is struggling, my grades are slipping, my parents are all over me, and I just don't feel the Lord in my life right now."

Sadly, most of the time, even if we were to be this honest and frank about our spiritual state, we get the same answer. "Great. See you later!" Sometimes they'll add in an "Oh, I'm sorry." or a "God is good! Keep your chin up!" but the sentiment is the same: the church today has us convinced that we aren't supposed to be messy. Christianity is supposed to be a happy, joyful group of people who don't slip, don't stumble, and don't ever feel anything other than "Great!" or "Pretty good, just a little tired!" If we were to honestly answer people every time they asked us how we were doing, we'd confuse the heck out of people.

Why? Why does the church adopt this happy-Christian facade? Early members of the church certainly didn't. Many times in the New Testament, Paul speaks openly about his struggles, pains, and personal shortcomings. Paul is OPEN with his life - his failures and his successes. Can you imagine the depth our relationships could have if we were willing to lay down our pride and show our true selves to each other as Christians? Everyone knows we aren't perfect. People say it all the time! So why are we so afraid to express what we KNOW to be true? Sometimes I wonder if the reason isn't doubt. This may sound a little scattered, but stay with me. IF we, as Christians know that we are sinners, undeserving of grace and completely deserving of death, that God so loved us that he sacrificed Jesus on our behalf, that we are completely absolved of our sins and absolutely forgiven, and that we are saved by our faith in the one who loves us endlessly, why would we be afraid to show our hearts to people? We're saved! We're dirty, sinful human people - but in the eyes of Christ we are white as snow! Who's opinion matters more? Man, or God? Galatians 1:10 says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Why should we care if people know that we're sinners? Why should we care if they know that we're in a time of spiritual drought or that we're having doubts? If anything, our doubts, fears, and failures bring more glory to God! His strength is perfected in my weakness. Paul writes, "Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Wow. Here's my confession, followers. I am weak. I don't read my Bible the way I should - in fact, I want to, but I'm too overwhelmed to start. I love helping people, but those who are in my way or hindering me from reaching a goal I treat terribly. I battle lust, greed, and impatience, I don't have even the faith of a mustard seed when it comes to putting my future into the hands of God, and at this point in my life, I feel dry and weary. My first instinct is to erase everything I just wrote, in shame and fear of what others might think. But I HAVE to remind myself that the opinions of the 6 people who read this blog mean NOTHING. My weaknesses bring glory to God. The fact that he could (and does) love someone like me shows His mercy, grace, goodness, patience, and perfect love. He is glorified in my screw ups! Does that mean I should walk around doing whatever I choose and disregarding my goal to follow Christ entirely, so that I'll "bring God more glory"? No! But not hiding the inevitable and very real struggles we Christians face from one another is good. From a website called www.thegospelcoalition.org:

Share one another’s needs and problems.

Galatians 6:2: “Carry each other’s burdens”

1 Thessalonians 5:11: “Encourage one another”

Hebrews 3:13: “Encourage one another daily”


Share one another’s needs and problems.

Galatians 6:2: “Carry each other’s burdens”

1 Thessalonians 5:11: “Encourage one another”

Hebrews 3:13: “Encourage one another daily”

Fellow Christians, let's boast about our sufferings as Paul does. Let's be honest with our brothers and sisters. In this way, we can encourage one another, cheer each other on, and help each other when times are hard. We are not called to live our spiritual lives alone - you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment